Aykroyd Dumps on Ghastly Ghostbusters TWICE in Two Days, Says Feig No Longer Welcome at Sony
We now know the female Ghostbusters farce ended up being a complete catastrophe. Of course, it was pretty damn obvious that was going to be the case during the run-up to the film’s release. Anyone with a brain knew this was headed for Flop City given the amount of money they spent on production and advertising. Because as bad as it was, had the filmmakers just been more thrifty, it could have still turned a profit.
Thankfully, they didn’t follow the advice of people like Dan Aykroyd. We might have seen a sequel to this shit sandwich if they had. Mr. Aykroyd himself let loose on the dreadful director of this trash heap, Paul Feig, this past weekend.
Taking aim at director Paul Feig, Dan Aykroyd said Sunday that there will be no sequel to last year’s Ghostbusters reboot because Feig spent too much money shooting the film and that “he will not be back on the Sony lot anytime soon.”
Appearing on the morning talk show Sunday Brunch on Britain’s Channel 4, Aykroyd, who co-wrote and starred in the original 1984 Ghostbusters and is credited as an executive producer on the remake, didn’t mention Feig by name, but said, “The director, he spent too much on it and he didn’t shoot scenes we suggested to him. Several scenes that were going to be needed, he said, ‘No, we don’t need them.’ And then we tested the movie and they needed them, and he had to go back — about $30 to $40 million in reshoots.”…
[H]e added, “it cost too much, and Sony does not like to lose money. It made a lot of money around the world, but it just cost too much, making it economically not feasible to do another one.”
Sony ended up correcting him…slightly. Apparently the reshoots only cost $3-4 million, at least according to them. Then again, the studios are notorious liars about this sort of thing. They didn’t try to refute anything else he said, though, namely that Feig is no longer welcome on the Sony lot.
Aykroyd came out after the first interview and tried to slightly walk back his comments, but he ended up just dumping on the project even more.
Who can blame him?
“We just wish he had been more inclusive to the originators. It cost everyone as it is unlikely Kristen, Leslie, Melissa and Kate will ever reprise their roles as Ghostbusters which is sad.”
Ouch, that’s gotta sting! Now, if only Bill Murray would come out and start shooting on this shitpile…